Wednesday, February 5, 2014

White Chicken Chili

So. Much. Snow. This picture may look a little blurry and hazy, but that 's because it's a literal blizzard outside. There has been a full foot of snow in the past twelve hours I'm pretty sure and there are no signs of if letting up. I'm not complaining though because it was starting to look a little ugly, and there was a SNOW DAY. So, what better thing to make for lunch when you might be snowed in if this keeps up than chili! And still better yet, white chicken chili.
Now in my opinion, white chicken chili beats regular chili in every way. Except for one thing, neither is particularly pretty, both can remind me a little of vomit. So, I'm sorry for that. And that's why I only made a little "collage" of steps.


White Chicken Chili
Yields: 8-10 servings

Ingredients:
2 (15.5 ounces) cans of white beans
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bell pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
Dash of hot sauce (differs depending on personal preference)
2 limes
3 cups of chicken broth
3 grilled chicken breasts
Tortilla chips for topping

Directions:
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper. (If you like spicy things, which I do not, then you can also add a jalapeno pepper or two at this point.) Let those cook until soft, then add salt and pepper to taste. Let cook for one minute. Then add spices and hot sauce. I think that cooking is less of a science and more of an "art," I guess. It sounds stupid, but you can really adjust this recipe however you like and it will still come out fine. I know that some people like spicy things while the extent of my tolerance for spice is mild wings, and that's still pushing it. So if you would like, add more cumin or chili powder or hot sauce. After you let those spices toast for a few minutes and you can really smell them, add the chicken broth and lime juice. Bring to a simmer. Drain and rinse the beans, then add to the simmering liquid. Let simmer/cook for twenty minutes. After a few minutes I like to mash some of the beans to make it a little thicker. While it is cooking, I shred the chicken. I literally just rip it apart with my hands because there is nothing creepier than cubed chicken. I also like to grill the chicken in advance just because if I already have the grill on why not bother. After twenty minutes, add the chicken and let cook for another twenty minutes. Serve with tortilla chips.

A few notes about this recipe, my sister REALLY likes chicken. So with that said, three breasts may be too much for your personal preference. You might be able to see how much chicken there is to beans in the pictures so either only use two breasts or use another can of beans and more chicken broth to make it for a larger crowd.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment